Sunday, January 25, 2015

Thomas the Train Front View



I have made several Thomas cakes before, but never a front view - always a side view.  Frequently, after making one cake a few times I like to change it up which is why I tried the front view this time.  This Thomas the Train cake was hand cut and created out of a 9x13" cake.  I did not use a cake pan.  He is yellow cake with blue, black, white, gray, yellow, and red buttercream icing. I think the details are what make cakes special, so I cut out around the face to make it stand "out front" just like on Thomas, the cake is wider in some parts than others, Thomas' nose bumps out, the tires have appropriate train rails, his eyes are sunk in a bit while his cheeks pop out, and there is a step between the undercarriage of the train and the blue body.  Most of these details are hard to see in pictures, but they made the cake look so special.  

The price reflects 2014 pricing because it was commissioned in 2014.  The final price for this cake was:
Buttercream Icing per Batch: $7.65
Yellow Cake: $1.93
Wrapping and Plating: $4.88
Labor: $22.50
Total: $36.96







No comments:

Post a Comment